Tell the Senate: Follow the House Lead and Protect Wild Horses!
As you know, the American Wild Horse Campaign has spent the last several months diligently working with our partners on Capitol Hill to ensure that the interests of wild horses and burros are represented during the FY 2022 Appropriations process. We are happy to announce that the House Interior Appropriations Committee has released a draft bill that includes important language championed by AWHC and U.S. Representatives Steve Cohen (D-TN), Dina Titus (D-NV), and over 40 other House members.
If passed, the legislation will require the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to:
- Implement a substantial humane reversible immunocontraceptive fertility control program to manage wild horse and burro populations in the wild.
- Evaluate relocating wild horses and burros to other Herd Management Areas (HMAs) to avoid removals and keep these animals on the range where they belong, and create a task force within the Interior Department to address wild horse and burro management.
- Review the “Adoption Incentive Program,” (AIP) which was recently exposed by AWHC and the New York Times as a pipeline to slaughter for hundreds of these federally-protected animals.
- Maintain the ban that is intended to protect wild horses and burros from slaughter.
It’s an important step toward ending the current costly and cruel practice of rounding these animals up with helicopters and incarcerating them in holding pens for life. And now our focus is on the Senate to adopt the same language.
So please, contact your Senators right now and urge them to support this important language.
1. Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators. You will likely be asked to leave a message. Simply say:
“I’m a constituent, and I’m calling to ask that you please support and do all you can to ensure passage of language in Interior Appropriations that was offered by Senator Booker to promote humane, cost-effective management of wild horses and burros in the wild where they belong. This language would allocate $11 million of the BLM’s Wild Horse and Burro Program budget to fertility control.”