The White Coat Waste Project announced a win from the Trump Administration on their last day in office. Outgoing EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler announced the agency would retire, not kill, animals that survived animal experiments.
The memorandum directed that rabies housed at the Research Triangle Laboratory be retired.
Justin Goodman, VP of Advocacy and Public Policy at 3-million-member taxpayer watchdog group White Coat Waste Project said in an emailed statement, “We’re proud to have worked with Andrew Wheeler and his colleagues to secure this last-minute pardon for survivors of EPA’s taxpayer-funded animal tests. Mr. Wheeler’s directive to retire the last of the bunnies in the EPA’s taxpayer-funded labs cements his legacy as a policy pioneer who made the once-lofty goal of ending wasteful and cruel taxpayer-funded animal tests a reality. Between this move to retire survivors of EPA animal tests and the agency’s historic decision last year to end all animal testing by 2035, the EPA has set the gold standard that all agencies should aspire to meet under the Biden Administration and beyond. Taxpayers, animal lovers, and liberty lovers in all political parties can unite behind today’s pardon.”
Read more about wasteful spending on animal testing in Rand Paul’s end of year report.
Animal testing is a useless and unethical part of scientific research, the testing is found to be ineffective, as 95% of drugs that pass animal tests fail on humans. Numerous companies are standing up against animal testing and recently the USDA made a decision to eliminate some mammalian testing by 2025 but there’s more to be done and it’s time countries ban animal experimentation altogether as it hurts humans as well.
Sign this petition to stop animal testing!
- This International Rabbit Day Pledge to Live Cruelty-Free, End Animal Testing and Support the Humane Cosmetics Act!
- Dog Breeders are Selling Unwanted Puppies to Animal Testing Labs
- Various Animal Testing Violations Found at Government Labs
- 5 Extremely Unnecessary and Inhumane Experiments Done on Animals
- Veterans Affairs Under Fire For Spending Over $8 Million in Taxpayer Money on Horrific Cat Experiments for Medical Research
- Rand Paul Calls Out Wasteful Spending of U.S. Taxpayer Money on Animal Testing