Dr. Rachel Levine AP Sign up for our special edition newsletter to get a daily update on the coronavirus pandemic.
The health official responsible for overseeing nursing homes in Pennsylvania — where nearly 70 percent of the state’s coronavirus-related deaths have occurred — moved her elderly mother out of one of the facilities as deaths skyrocketed, a report said.
Pennsylvania Health Secretary Dr. Rachel Levine said Tuesday that her 95-year-old mother requested to be moved out of a personal care home, a local ABC affiliate reported.
“My mother requested, and my sister and I as her children complied to move her to another location during the COVID-19 outbreak,” Levine said, according to ABC27.
“My mother is 95 years old. She is very intelligent and more than competent to make her own decisions,” she added.
After criticism from some state lawmakers for the move, Levine argued she’s working to ensure the health and safety of all state residents, according to the report.
In March, Levine ordered long-term care facilities in the state to continue to accept coronavirus patients who had been discharged from hospitals but who were unable to return to their homes, the Bucks County Courier Times reported.
Of the state’s 3,806 coronavirus deaths, 2,611 had occurred in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, according to ABC27.
https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0 Filed under Coronavirus , nursing homes , pennsylvania , 5/13/20 https://d-26622917233713808820.ampproject.net/2005050322002/frame.html https://d-26622917233713808820.ampproject.net/2005050322002/frame.html trending now
- Biden among top officials who tried to ‘unmask’ Flynn in Russia probe: report
- Eerie video shows moment corpse ‘waves’ during burial service
- Teen linked to beating of 15-year-old girl, theft of her Air Jordans shot dead
- Greta Thunberg added to CNN’s expert coronavirus panel, Twitter erupts
- Mary-Kate Olsen and Olivier Sarkozy are divorcing after 5 years of marriage
- Watch the claws come out in wild Mother’s Day brawl at Red Lobster