By Team Ecohustler
Farming salmon has a surprising list of impacts including on our health. Will you join the pledge to avoid it?
One million salmon meals are eaten in the UK every day. Are you sure you want to buy these products and drive 5 shocking impacts –
5. A single farmed salmon may have been fed over 120 wild caught fish
Salmon are extraordinary animals. They migrate hundreds of miles, returning to their rivers of origin to breed. They are also voracious carnivores and excellent hunters. In order to raise salmon on underwater factory farms the animals are fed a high protein feed which includes a high proportion of wild caught fish. Indiscriminate trawling hauls vast quantities of fish out of the oceans and also captures turtles, marine mammals and sea birds. The evidence shows that grinding wild fish up to feed salmon drives overfishing, poor animal welfare and disruption of aquatic food webs.
When we buy carnivorous farmed fish we are inadvertently killing wild marine animals as well.
4. Salmon are eaten alive by sea lice in underwater factory farming cages
Fish factory farms are disturbing places. The animals are crammed into pens at much higher densities than are found in the wild. Swimming endlessly in confinement the animals are prone to diseases and parasites. Recent undercover investigations into salmon farming have uncovered a series of horrific welfare abuses.
Mortality rates are sky high with 20 million animals a year dying on Scottish salmon farms alone. This mortality rate is far higher than for any other adult farmed animal. The BBC One Show uncovered enormous uncovered mass graves of the dead animals. The fish that survive live lives of unimaginable torment. The BBC Panorama programme – Salmon Farming Exposed heard of severe sea lice infestations on salmon in one loch, which were being essentially “eaten alive” by the parasites. Trapped inside the pens these intelligent animals cannot escape to cleaner waters.
Smoked salmon may look healthy and luxurious in the supermarket but the product may have come from diseased and damaged animals that have lived terrible lives.
A pit of dead salmon found near a salmon farm in Scotland – photo – Corin Smith
3. Salmon farmers shoot seals
Salmon factory farms are smelly and dirty places. Wild seals are like the dogs of the sea – they are curious and love to investigate exciting smelly discoveries. Sadly for them, salmon farmers view seals as pests and shoot them as soon as they get in site of the pens. If you buy farmed salmon – be aware that wild seals may have been killed to bring you that product.
Salmon farmers may even be shooting grey seals threatening an already endangered species. Unbelievably, even RSPCA Certified salmon farms are allowed to shoot seals and keep the labels that reassure unsuspecting customers. Some disillusioned RSPCA members are even threatening to quit after their head of campaigns described shooting seals as “humane pest control.”
2. Salmon farms pollute waterways and damage wild species
Scotland’s wild salmon stocks are their ‘lowest ever level’. The diseases that affect the salmon on farms can be transferred to the wild animals that swim past the cages. Recently, important Scottish wild salmon runs have been decimated by parasites and chemicals linked to local salmon farms. Wild salmon are disappearing. 2018 was Scotland’s worst salmon season in living memory. Some famous rivers like the Spey and the Nith recorded not a single salmon caught during the entire fishing season. Just two salmon were caught on the River Fyne in Argyll last year, where once more than 700 were caught each season. Half of Canada’s chinook salmon are endangered, with nearly all other populations in precarious decline, according to a new report, confirming fears that prospects for the species remain dire.
1. Farmed salmon can be toxic
Some toxic chemicals such as cancer-causing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) bioaccumulate up the food chain in carnivorous marine life. This means that although very dilute in seawater they accumulate in the fatty tissues of marine animals and the levels of pollution in top predators can become dangerously high. Tragically, scientists reported that one of the UK’s last killer whales discovered in Scotland after becoming entangled in fishing lines was contaminated with “shocking” levels of the toxic chemical. Globally, a new study warns that all world’s orcas are in trouble from a range of toxic chemicals released by industrial corporations.
A report from the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that most farmed salmon tested in the US contained PCBs at “levels that raise health concerns.” Just like with orcas the PCBs are bioaccumulating in the fish killed to be ground up into fish meal and then are found in the salmon. There may also be health risks associated with the pesticides used to kill sea lice and the dye added to farmed salmon to give it a pink colour.
Factory farming salmon has become a billion dollar a year industry and they can afford the best marketing. Don’t be fooled by the packaging. These products are riddled with serious issues and should be avoided like the plague.
To find out more – visit the following environmental and animal welfare organisations that are mobilising to challenge harmful fishing and aquaculture practices –
Compassion in World Farming – Rethink Fish
OneKind – Stop Salmon Farming Expansion
Feedback Global – Fishy Business
Changing Markets – Fishing the feed
And take the salmon pledge never to eat farmed salmon again!
10 Vegan Vitamin B12 Supplements
By Chelsea Debret
12-15 minutesThere is lots to know when it comes to getting the right amount and variety of vitamins and minerals in a plant-based diet. This is especially true when it comes to vitamin B12 supplements.Turns out vitamin B12 is somewhat lacking in the plant-based world and is mostly present in animal-based products such as “fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products,” as well as fortified breakfast cereals and supplements.Alright, but why do we need vitamin B12?This water-soluble vitamin (meaning it doesn’t need fat to be broken down and absorbed), is “required for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis.” Vitamin B12 — also referred to as cobalamin due to its composition of mineral cobalt — is also super important for a variety of chemical reactions within the human body.Plus, vitamin B12 has been linked to a variety of health benefits including the prevention of anemia, major birth defects, osteoporosis, and loss of neurons, as well as increased bone and heart health, reduction in macular degeneration, and a boost in energy. On top of that, certain studies have linked appropriate vitamin B12 levels to improved mood and symptoms of depression, along with healthier hair, nails, and skin.All-in-all, it’s a good idea to make sure you’re getting enough of this vital nutrient! If you’re practicing a strictly plant-based diet, then you’ll want to speak with your doctor about a possible supplement in order to get that daily dose. Once you’ve gone over the options with a healthcare professional, here are a few vegan-friendly B12 supplements to get you started!
1. Mary Ruth’s Vegan Vitamin D3+B12 Gummy Supplements
Mary Ruth’s Vegan Vitamin D3+B12 Gummy Supplements/Amazon.comMary Ruth’s is a known vegan-friendly and high-quality supplement brand, which gives it first digs on this vegan vitamin B12 list! These Mary Ruth’s Vegan Vitamin D3+B12 Gummy Supplements not only offer a healthy dose of vitamin B12, but they also offer a healthy dose of vitamin D3, which is also difficult to find naturally in an exclusively vegan diet. Plus, these gummies are non-GMO, paleo-friendly, wheat-free, yeast-free, soy-free, and celiac-friendly! They contain zero nightshades (for nightshade sensitive folks), zero gelatin, and they provide a boost of energy to boot. These strawberry flavored gummies are a perfect addition to your plant-based diet. A 60-count bottle costs $23.95.Lisa Bee says “Slowly on the course of moving myself to a veganism diet, I decided to start switching over my supplements (let’s be real, this girl doesn’t even take vitamins on a daily) but upon starting to take them I have noticed I had just a little more energy to boost me through my mornings. I will say that I am pleasantly pleased with the product and I will be buying them again in the future.”
2. Garden of Life B12 Vitamin Liquid SupplementGarden of Life B12 Vitamin Liquid Supplement/Amazon.comAnother trusted, plant-based, high-quality, oftentimes vegan brand, this Garden of Life B12 Vitamin Liquid Supplement is a great on-the-go or travel-friendly option. This blend of methylcobalamin-based vitamin B12 supports a healthy metabolism and central nervous system, boosts energy, and increases heart health, while also protecting the body against anemia. This product is certified USDA organic, non-GMO verified, vegan certified, gluten-free certified, and kosher made. A 2-ounce liquid bottle costs $12.59.J, Ru says “I have been using tablets for years with sketchy results. After researching liquid VS tablet I thought I would give it a try. I suffer from Hashimoto’s, and my husband had thyroid cancer, From taking 5-6 10 mg tablets at a time with little results to two sprays a day, the results are dramatic. we can finally tell it is working for us. Highly recommend. Shipping was fast and well packaged.”
3. Global Healing Center Vegansafe B12Global Healing Center Vegansafe B12/Amazon.comThis Global Healing Center Vegansafe B12 uses a blend of methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, which are the “most pure, active, bioavailable coenzyme combination available.” This formula promises to offer results faster and absorb better and more efficiently than other supplement types, as well as offer natural sleep support! Global Healing Center promises this product is certified organic, vegan-safe, and free of gluten, soy, dairy, GMOs, nuts, sugar, artificial flavors, synthetic dyes, and toxic fillers. A 1-fluid ounce bottle costs $19.95.Kimberly M. says “Love! I let a drop sit under my tongue for a minute in the morning and around 2-3 pm. Increases energy without the effects of stimulants…very mellow natural energy boost with no side effects.
UPDATE: my B12 levels were around 645 when I started this a year ago, and today my levels are 1,450 which is high. I reduced the amount to 1/4 dropper and will check my levels in a few months.”
4. Deva Vegan Vitamin B-12 Fast Dissolve LozengesDeva Vegan Vitamin B-12 Fast Dissolve Lozenges/Amazon.comNot a capsule or liquid supplement fan? These Deva Vegan Vitamin B-12 Fast Dissolve Lozenges may be the perfect in-between supplement to help you get that daily dose of vitamin B12. Deva promises this blend of vitamin B12, vitamin B6, and folic acid to be 100 percent animal product-free and pure. This unique formula is especially helpful at maintaining healthy nerve cells! A 90-tablet bottle costs $13.78.RDS says “This is an excellent product, both in its obvious and not-so-obvious attributes. First, the form of B12 in Deva’s formula is methylcobalamin, which is the only form that is readily absorbed by us in oral form. Second, the formula also contains Folic Acid and B6, which act synergetically with B12 to optimize utilization. Third, this is one of the few purveyors of B12 that guarantee they do not use genetically modified sources. And finally, the sublingual tablets help to ensure maximum absorption by the system. And the price is right. This is the best source of B12 I have found.”
5. EZ Melts B12 as MethylcobalaminEZ Melts B12 as Methylcobalamin/Amazon.comThis EZ Melts B12 as Methylcobalamin offers a high-quality, bioactive form of vitamin B12 made with methylcobalamin. This unique blend supports mental clarity, emotional balance, energy levels, and helps with the renewal of cells to boost healthy skin, hair, and nails. EZ Melts promises this product to be vegan-friendly, non-GMO, and is free of sugar, gluten, and artificial flavors, sweeteners, and colors. A 90-fast dissolve tablet bottle costs $18.99.Shellie M. says “Phenomenal product. Literally kicks in within 30 minutes and instant energy. Doesn’t feel like a coffee jump of energy, it’s more natural. I haven’t experienced any downsides to this product even after not using it because I finished the bottle.”
6. VitBoost Vegan Liquid B-12 DropsVitBoost Vegan Liquid B-12 Drops/Amazon.comThis VitBoost Vegan Liquid B-12 Drops offers all the goods in a fast-acting vegan-friendly form! This blend offers a much-needed energy boost throughout the day, while also supporting the adrenal glands, red blood cell formation, mental clarity, cognitive function, and helps improve concentration. This product is vegan-friendly, non-GMO, allergen-free, gluten-free, and also happens to be free of soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, GMOs, peanuts, shellfish, and sugar. A 2-fluid ounce bottle costs $19.95.Huevos rancheros says “This stuff is amazing?! I have thyroid issues and problems with fatigue. i take one dropper in the morning and one in the afternoon and my workouts and energy has never been better and its just been several days! im almost mad i didnt find this sooner because no other b complex bvitamins ever worked for me.”
7. NATURELO B Complex
NATURELO B Complex/Amazon.comThis NATURELO B Complex is not just about getting that vitamin B12 in your body but is an advanced B-complex formula with Thiamin (vitamin B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), B6, Folate (as Methylfolate, not Folic Acid), B12 (as Methylcobalamin), Biotin and Pantothenic Acid, as well as organic fruit and vegetable blend, PABA, Choline, Inositol, and CoQ10. This unique formula seeks to support energy metabolism, maintains the immune system, supports heart and nervous system health, and is a great source of folate for pregnant women. This product is vegan-friendly, non-GMO, gluten-free, and does not contain soy, dairy, yeast, eggs, corn, nuts, caffeine, additives, preservatives, or coloring. A 120-capsule bottle costs $26.95.Seeka Kinsey says “I wanted to wait a while before I reviewed this to see if I noticed any physical/mental changes. It’s been about a month of taking this and I can honestly say I feel more energy and less depression, which is what I had hoped for. My hair is growing faster (falling out less, too) and my skin is clearing up (initially I broke out but I stuck to it and am leveling out). I find myself getting more done throughout the day and just in general feeling better. It hasn’t been a drastic change, just a light boost that was much needed. I appreciate that it is vegan, it actually smells good and is easy to swallow.”
8. Doctor’s Best Fully Active B12
Doctor’s Best Fully Active B12/Amazon.comThis Doctor’s Best Fully Active B12 uses methyl-cobalamin, which is the most biochemically active form of vitamin B12, hence the supplement name “fully active.” This product is vegan-friendly and is formulated to support healthy memory, mood, circulation, and well being. A 60-capsule bottle costs $4.55.Samantha Boyden says “This product really helps my family not worry about our B12 intake. The pills are nice and small, they are vegan friendly, and there is no funky after taste or smell. This is such a great deal to be able to feel at ease about our health for such a low price. I would recommend this product to anyone interested in ensuring they get enough B12.”
9. Vitamin B12 Sublingual Liquid Drops
Go Nutrients Vitamin B12 Sublingual Liquid Drops/Amazon.comThese Go Nutrients Vitamin B12 Sublingual Liquid Drops have all the goods! Go Nutrients promises the highest-quality ingredients using a formula of bioactive B12 that is 100 percent methylcobalamin (not cyanocobalamin) offering an increase in energy to help fight sluggishness and a boost for memory to help lift brain fog. This product is vegan-friendly, non-GMO, alcohol-free, gluten-free, and is also free of soy, sugar, wheat, dairy, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. A 2-ounce bottle costs $19.47.Brenda Matthewsq says “Omg! I received my bottle of go nutrients B-12 2 weeks ago and couldn’t be happier with my purchase. Not only is my energy level up but so is my mood( family is happy with that). I’m always a bit hesitant with liquids vitamins due to taste but this was totally pleasant. I will absolutely buy this product again.”
10. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Vitamin B12
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Vitamin B12/Amazon.comAnother Garden of Life Vitamin B12 supplement makes the list, yet this one is part of the Raw Code variety, meaning raw ingredients! This Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Vitamin B12 is essential for protecting the body from anemia and supporting a healthy central nervous system, as well as boosting energy, avoiding constipation, and taking the edge off of fatigue. As this is part of the Raw Code vitamins, these also have gut-friendly probiotics and enzymes to support digestive health and add nutritional support. This product is vegan-friendly, raw, gluten-free, dairy-free, and has zero binders or fillers. A 30-capsule bottle costs $11.89.Amazon Customer says “I was ill for a few months, no energy, weak, foggy-brained and lightheaded, no appetite. I finally had a blood test and was found to have a severe vitamin B-12 deficiency. Within a week of starting a daily regimen of these, I felt like a new person. My doctor told me to take this brand, as whole food source was important to her, and she likes the quality of these. I am completely back to normal, feel great now.”We also highly recommend downloading our Food Monster App, which is available for iPhone, and can also be found on Instagram and Facebook. The app has more than 15,000 plant-based, allergy-friendly recipes, and subscribers gain access to new recipes every day. Check it out!For more Vegan Food, Health, Recipe, Animal, and Life content published daily, don’t forget to subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter!Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please support us!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true. —Soren Kierkegaard. "...truth is true even if nobody believes it, and falsehood is false even if everybody believes it. That is why truth does not yield to opinion, fashion, numbers, office, or sincerity--it is simply true and that is the end of it" - Os Guinness, Time for Truth, pg.39. “He that takes truth for his guide, and duty for his end, may safely trust to God’s providence to lead him aright.” - Blaise Pascal. "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily" – George Washington letter to Edmund Randolph — 1795. We live in a “post-truth” world. According to the dictionary, “post-truth” means, “relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.” Simply put, we now live in a culture that seems to value experience and emotion more than truth. Truth will never go away no matter how hard one might wish. Going beyond the MSM idealogical opinion/bias and their low information tabloid reality show news with a distractional superficial focus on entertainment, sensationalism, emotionalism and activist reporting – this blogs goal is to, in some small way, put a plug in the broken dam of truth and save as many as possible from the consequences—temporal and eternal. "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." – George Orwell “There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Soren Kierkegaard
Following in the spirit of Britain's Queen Boudica, Queen of the Iceni. A boudica.us site. I am an opinionator, do your own research, verification. Reposts, reblogs do not neccessarily reflect our views.