Kitten saved by PDSA after eating toxic pollen – Katzenworld

katzenworld.co.uk
Kitten saved by PDSA after eating toxic pollen – Katzenworld
Marc-André

Lucky Luna nearly loses life after lily lark

Luna, a Ragamuffin kitten, was just four months old when her owner, Emily Pryce (29), received a bouquet of flowers for her birthday. The flowers included lilies and Emily had placed these on a table, thinking they would be out of harm’s way.

However, Emily came home for lunch one day to find Luna with pollen all around her mouth. She knew lilies could be dangerous to cats, so contacted her local vet. They advised Luna would probably need urgent treatment, but an overnight stay and all the treatment could cost around a thousand pounds.

Emily said: “I checked our insurance paperwork only to find out that it had run out the day before! Although I work, I couldn’t afford to pay that much up front.

“But I knew I had to get Luna the help she needed though, so I rang PDSA. They advised that I was eligible for their new reduced-cost service. They told me to bring her straight in, and it was such a relief to know that she would get the treatment she needed.”

Luna was examined by the vet team at PDSA and blood tests confirmed that she had eaten enough of the pollen to cause potential kidney failure, so needed urgent treatment.

She stayed at PDSA for two nights, receiving round-the-clock care to help her recover. Her confident and friendly nature meant she quickly became a firm favourite with the team, and her care plan included plenty of cuddles as well!

Thankfully, with intensive support to remove the toxins from her system, Luna remained stable and was able to go home a few days later. But not all cases have a happy ending like hers.

Veterinary Care Assistant, Jemma Hughes, said: “Lilies have become quite popular in Easter bouquets, but all parts of the plant, including the flower and leaves are toxic to cats. The biggest danger is if a cat gets some of the pollen on their fur, then grooms themselves, as ingesting even a small amount can be fatal.”

PDSA is advising people not to give lilies to anyone with cats, and for owners to be aware of the dangers.

Jemma continued: “All members of the lily family [Lilium] are toxic to cats, and a number of other plants can also pose a danger to pets, including peace lilies [Spathiphyllum], daffodils, Lily-of-the-Valley [Convallaria], Laburnum, Azalea and Cherry Laurel. If you think your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately for advice. The quicker they get treatment the more likely it is they will survive.”

Continue reading here.

https://katzenworld.co.uk/2019/04/22/kitten-saved-by-pdsa-after-eating-toxic-pollen/

2 comments on “Kitten saved by PDSA after eating toxic pollen – Katzenworld

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.